- ARJUN POUDEL, Kathmandu
Cholera has been detected in a patient who was admitted to Sukraraj Tropical and Infectious Disease Hospital in Teku for treatment of diarrhoeal disease.
The 45-year-old man from Tanchal, Kathmandu, was taken to the hospital after he continually suffered from loose bowel movement, nausea, vomiting and headache.
Doctors at the hospital, who attended the patient, had his stool samples examined in the hospital laboratory, which established that the man was suffering from cholera. The hospital then sent the patient’s stool samples to the National Public Health Laboratory for confirmation. The lab report confirmed the disease.
Dr Basudev Pandey, director at the hospital, told the Post, “Vibrio cholera 01 ogawa serotype has been confirmed in a patient admitted in our hospital.”
He said that the hospital has informed the Epidemiology and Disease Control Division under the Department of Health Services about the confirmation of the deadly disease in the diarrhoeal patient.
An official at the Epidemiology and Disease Control Division informed that the report was also provided to the World Health Organization Country Office and UNICEF Nepal.
Every year, dozens of people get infected with the deadly bacterial disease throughout the country especially during the monsoon season. But, according to Pandey, the establishing of a cholera case before the onset of the monsoon season in the Capital was alarming.
Published: 07-05-2019 06:30
Source: The Kathmandu Post